Hobbyist Forums banner

Stihl chainsaw won't fire

7K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  COMP 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a Stihl chainsaw that has only about 10-15 hours of running time on it. It had been sitting in my garage for about a year and a half with old fuel. I should haven't keep the fuel in it but replaced it with a new mixture, checked the fuel filter and it was clean, and it refuses to fire. I replaced the plug in spite of the fact that the original looked ok and showed spark and it still won't start or even give an indication of firing. I then put about a tablespoon of gas in the cylinder without any hint of firing. There isn't any physical damage to it and it feels like it has good compression. The last time I did use it starting was effortless and now nothing. I'm not a small engine genius but two cycle engines aren't that complicated. Does anyone have a suggestion?

#7 · (Edited)
Although it's about three years old, operationally it's almost new as I have relatively few hours of running time. The last time I used it starting was similar to when it was brand new so I don't think it's something such as the flywheel key. My thoughts, as suggested here, is that I'm flooding it so I'm going to give the techniques suggested her a try. One suggestion was shot of carb cleaner in the cylinder or carb and my question is if carb cleaner is similar to starting fluid? The reason I ask it that I've read that starting fluid can be pretty hard on the engine.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.