Hobbyist Forums banner

New 1:64 Auto World line - New sneak photos

33K views 155 replies 73 participants last post by  bman20 
#1 ·
I figured I'd start a new thread for this one stemming off from the Toy Fair thread to correct some errors!

As mentioned in the previous thread, with additional info:

There will be 3 versions with all new tooling:

2.99 Die-cast body/plastic chassis with 2 piece free-rolling suspension hard wheels. Currently no opening features. These are specifically geared toward play-factor with fast-rolling wheels smooth as silk. These will be packaged in a blistercard. These include:

2012 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
2012 Corvette Z06
1966 Pontiac GTO
1967 Corvette 427
1967 Buick Gran Sport
1984 Camaro

5.99 Die-cast body/Metal chassis with 2-piece knurled axle (dumbell-style) with correctly matched and scaled rims and rubber tires. Opening hoods. Multi-piece engine. These will be packaged in a blistercard and include a mini box. These include:

1971 Dodge Dart
2012 Ford Mustang BOSS 302
1966 Oldmobile 442
1966 Chevrolet Impala
2011 Hennessey Camaro
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1

6.99 Similar level of detail to 5.99 cars, but will have a licensed tie-in and will include a newly tooled hard plastic display case. These will be in a protective plastic clamshell. These include:

2011 Callaway Corvette
1961 Dodge Polara
1967 Ford Mustang GT 390
1965 Ford GT40
1976 Cadillac Coupe De Ville
1969 Pontiac Trans Am Coupe

Currently, we are tooling 18 cars and choosing the next 18 as I type. The the 2.99 and 5.99 cars do NOT share common molds. They are unique castings. The biggest point to note is that these are all scaled to true 1:64 scale all the way down to the wheels and tires. Even the hard wheels and tires on the 2.99 versions are scaled to real tires.

We are using all of our die-cast experience from over the years to make these cars the way we feel die-cast should have been made from the beginning. No more 4x4-looking coupes and no more incorrectly scaled tires. We're pouring our heart and soul into these.

We are trying feverishly to make cars that have either never been done, or have not been done to our satisfaction, in 1:64 scale. If you want a new car done in 1:64 scale, NOW is the time to voice your ideas. :thumbsup:

Here are a few sneaks:

Here is the 2.99 version with hard wheels:

These slot mag wheels are a little flat on the tire sidewall. It's been revised to be more realistic.

Enjoy! :thumbsup:

See less See more
#6 ·
If I was doing the next 18, this is what I would do:

2.99 set:
1971 Galaxie 500 (police and 4 door sedan)
1971 Fury I (police and 4 door sedan)
1975 Monte Carlo
1995 Impala SS
1965 Barracuda
1975 Chevrolet Truck

5.99 set:
1966 Chevelle SS 396
1959 El Camino
1970 Mach 1
1962 Dodge 330
1969 Nova
1965 Ford F-100

6.99 set:
1974 Trans Am
1969 Cougar Eliminator
1963 Impala
1967 Plymouth GTX
1969 El Camino
1970 Chevelle

#12 · (Edited)
1968 Charger, to be specific, I'm still waiting for one that I think was well done, not just another one with an over-heavy/out of scale grille and slapped on paper side marker lights.

Otherwise, we need more of any of the 60s and early 70s American cars that are well done - not just more of the 60s pony cars that have been done to the point of overkill - but more of the big cars that came from Ford, Mercury, Chrysler, etc.

And yes, I can hardly wait to add those to my collection - if you can truly deliver the quality, they look like they may very well give M2 a run for their money, they may not want to take the time to turn around to see who is nipping at their heels.

Where do you plan to have them available - it seems the biggest problem with any brand - other than HWs - is finding a place that actually sells them.

#19 ·
Very interesting, especially the 61 Dodge and Cadillac. IN-scale tires and wheels are important to me. It's one place GL and JL just don't measure up.
How about some mid-line or low-line models? Everybody else (especially M2) concentrates on top-of-the-line models. Any year Chev Biscayne or BelAir; Pontiac Ventura or Catalina; Plymouth Belvedere (62-64);

#20 ·
I would like to see some new models, not just rehashing what has already been done over and over, like Z28 Camaro’s and Boss Mustangs, I have nothing against pony cars, I have a 1:1 Z28 and a couple hundred Z28 diecast.
How about some that haven’t been done but are still popular like ‘48 Ford, Chevrolet and Plymouth coupes and sedans, ‘58 Ford, ‘75 El Camino, ‘60 Oldsmobile, ‘60 Pontiac, ‘70 Ranchero, Concept cars of the ‘50’s, AMC of most any version, ‘30’s stock sedans, the list could go on and on.
Cars that don’t have wheel wells that you can fit tractor tires in. Not over looking the buyers market, a lot of these TOYS are bought by parents and grand parents who look for cars they are familiar with and can relate to and they buy a lot of toys for their kids and grand kids.
Would be nice if they were in proportion to each other, preferably in 1/64 scale as that has been the approved scale to a degree. When you put a ‘49 Ford pickup next to a ‘69 Camaro and the truck will fit in the trunk of the Camaro, it just doesn’t look right, I know when Matchbox started they were to fit in a given box size but time and packaging has changed.
People don’t mind paying a little more if the quality is there and the cost is the same to make it wrong as it is to make it right and market them so people can find them, everybody doesn’t live in or near a big city, is hard to buy what you can‘t see, seeing ads is fine but seeing it in your hand is where the truth is and where it counts.
Wish you luck and hope it all goes well.

#22 ·
Hi,
posting this one the Thread of New York Toyfair too, but hopefully its ok to post here again...:

nice new pictures :thumbsup: wish you had shown the prototypes on the German ToyFair last month.
I visited your display and looked very interested on the 1:64 cards with the list of upcoming cars ...:wave:

some more ideas for you:
1973 DeTomaso Pantera - Street and Racing
Ford GT-40
1973 XBGT Ford Falcon Coupe Australian(Basic for the MadMax Interceptor)
1967 Pontiac Catalina Station Wagon
1965 Chevrolet Chevelle 2 dr. Station wagon
1964 Falcon Station Wagon
1966 Buick SportWagon station wagon
1966 Chevrolet Impala station wagon
1967 Dodge Coronet station wagon
1968 Plymouth Satellite station wagon
1969 Chevrolet Chevelle Nomad station wagon
1970 AMC Rebel station wagon
1971 Pontiac Safari station wagon
1972 AMC Ambassador SST station wagon
1973 Chevrolet Impala station wagon
1974 Pontiac Catalina Safari station wagon

4 door sedans as police cars from the 50-70`s

- Rest of the World Cars with V8 - named R.o.W.
here we go - excample some old cars... :
Jensen Interceptor powerded by Crysler
Iso Rivolta Grifo Can Am 7.7
Intermeccanica Omega 1968
1980 Aston Martin Volante V8 Convertible / coupe

what do you think ?

Greetings from Germany
Redcooper

#23 ·
Well, I'm probably looking at this the wrong way & should sit down, shut up and go along with things, but I can't. The rally wheels on the Dart and the Magnums on the 71 Mustang are shallow on outside. Too much offset on the inside. Just sayin'. If we're trying to get off to a good start, getting the details right will go a long way. The tires on the 69 TA look too tall and almost every TA that year was ordered with Rally II's. If you look at 61 Polara's, the hubcaps don't hang out that far from the rim lip. Sorry guys- I'm seeing some good things but the total package has some rough edges. I realize the 84 Camaro is in the budget group but the slotted rims don't work for that car.

#24 ·
Being a fogey, the most exciting casting in the newly announced AW lineup for me is the '61 Polara. Exciting because nobody else makes one, unlike all the pony cars out there. Some time back, MB did a 1/72 (approx) Phoenix convertible but I've been hankering for a 1/64 '61 Dodge hardtop for a long, long time. Thanks, AW! :thumbsup:

There are some terrific ideas being posted about possible future castings, notably a first-gen Barracuda. Great idea! :hat:
(Racing Champions did a 1/64 first-gen Barracuda years ago but the casting was based on Richard Petty's "43 Jr." drag racer of 1965, complete with hood scoops, racing wheels and interior, and missing the front bumper.)

#26 ·
Tony / Mike -

Drop me a line, am curious about distribution on these, they look great. The TRU line was only available to Resin sellers of your other products, but since I don't sell resin, Autoworld would not sell to me.

Let me know who I should talk with.

Hope all is well with you Boys - good to see you posting again!! miss you dudes!!! sniff snifff...........:cry:

email below!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.