Hobbyist Forums banner

Poulan BVM200 Blower won't start...

59K views 17 replies 12 participants last post by  K.I.T.T 
#1 ·
Alright, I'm 15, and I've been interested in mechanics for a while, but my parents know nothing about it, so I've basically been teaching myself. I got a Poulan BVM200 Leaf blower from my friend for free because he said it wouldn't start. Alas, it still wouldn't. I've tried checking the spark plug, and it gives a consistent spark. I tried pouring a little fuel mix into the spark plug hole and putting the spark plug back in and it still wouldn't turn over. I'm thinking the compression may be low, but I don't have the tools or know-how to do that. This isn't a crucial problem, but it's more of a hobby, so it would be nice to get this to work. Also, I've made sure I have the right fuel/oil mixture (40:1), as it's a 25cc engine. I've tightened all of the bolts and screws as well. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
Well, its a good hobby.
First, You Poured fuel mix into the spark plug hole? That will most defininately flood it, if you want to see if it will combust, take some starting fluid spray and spray it into the carbourateur. then pull the cord and see if it will combust at all.
Second, make sure all the fuel lines are clear of stale fuel and have fresh fuel. Make sure the carb is clean. Take off the air filter and mabye even the carb and make sure they're clean. Old motors usually have gunk in them. Also, if its bbeen sitting around you never know how the carb has been tuned. Look on the carb and see how many screws there are (besides the idle screw). There should be two screws for the HI/LO jets. If theres only one besides the idle screw the HI jet is fixed. Let us know what the carb configuration is.
Since its a 2-cycle it shouldn't be too hard to get started, theres not very many things that can go wrong with those.
Good Luck!

#3 · (Edited)
Alright well I could've sworn I read somewhere to pour some fuel into the spark plug hole, but I may have poured to much or something. Starting fluid spray? I don't have any I don't think, I may be able to get some though. Also, there are two screws on the carb for hi/lo, but they aren't philips, flat-head or allen to adjust, they look kind of weird. Also, I'll get some carb cleaner and parts cleaner and clean the carb since I think this has been sitting for a while, possibly a few years. How would I clean the fuel lines? I've emptied the tank and put fresh gas/oil mix in, and lines look clear, but cleaning them wouldn't hurt. Thanks for the response.

#4 ·
If the carb screws look really weird then make sure they aren't the screws that attach the carb or any of its parts together. They're the adjustment screws if there is a spring between the unit and the screw head. Could it be a star-driver or allen wrench slot? doesent sound like an adjustment screw though if it has those heads. If you flushed out the gas system then the lines should be pretty clean, i wouldn't suspect any problems there unless the stale fuel disintegrated the inside of the lines and you have chunks of rubber going into your carb. Do a carb clean and check the ends of the fuel lines and make sure the insides are smooth.

#7 ·
Poulan BVM 200

I've got a Poulan BVM 200 that I've had for about 4 years. I've never had a problem with it until now. As with the previous threads, it won't start. It has good compression. I've replaced the plug, cleaned the air filter, blew out the bowl and ensured good fuel/oil mixture. The only way it will start is if I spray starting fluid into the carburetor, but once the fluid burns out the engine quits. The fuel lines are in good condition...I emptied the fuel tank and blew it out with with an air compressor. I blew out both fuel lines to ensure no blockages. What haven't I done to get this thing running again?

#8 ·
OK her we go- on some of the poulan products the head bolts come lose. AND yes they will run if you prim them but only for a moment. It will problaby need a new gasket i have used the old one cleaned up whith a little high heat silicon. The rings are bad about guming up with carbon but thats another story. P.S. be shure and use blue lock tit on the head bolts. PAULS LAWN SERVICE

#12 ·
take a look at the head bolts

my poulan blower at first was hard to start and continuously had to trigger the throttle to keep it going. then one day it wouldn't start. I would first take of the cover to the carbuator, and the black engine cover. Looking at the engine you could see the top of the head bolts were a little loose. Taking compression away. Tighten the allen head bolts and it is running again. Even the directions say to check this yearly. hope this helps.

#14 ·
This fix worked for me!

my poulan blower at first was hard to start and continuously had to trigger the throttle to keep it going. then one day it wouldn't start. I would first take of the cover to the carbuator, and the black engine cover. Looking at the engine you could see the top of the head bolts were a little loose. Taking compression away. Tighten the allen head bolts and it is running again. Even the directions say to check this yearly. hope this helps.
I first replaced the spark plug, then I replaced the fuel lines in case they were clogged, they were getting brittle anyway, and it still wouldn't run for more than a few seconds. I then found that the head bolts were loose, and after I tightened them up, they both use the same size bolt even though the holes are a different size, it started running just fine again..... Frustrating couple of hours and a run to the hardware store but.... it is working again for the mowing season. Thanks for the post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.