Hobbyist Forums banner

Toro model 20622 mower

6K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  30yearTech 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to correctly install the blade belt on this mower. It has a spring loaded assembly. Or where I can find a free service manual online for this mower.

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
All you need to do is remove the blade and the lower portion of the clutch by removing the large nut that attaches it to the engine crankshaft. Then remove the bolt holding the idler pulley on. The belt will slip off and the new belt installation is just the reverse of removal. You don't really have to remove the large nut from the crankshaft to do this, I just find it easier.

#3 ·
I was attempting to replace both belts. I removed the idler pulley assembly and now while reassembling everything the idler pulley contacts the flywheel. Since the idler pulley assembly is spring loaded I assume the spring must be under tension when installed, but I do not know how much tension is required, to prevent the assembly from contacting the flywheel.
Thanks.

#5 · (Edited)
The assembly contacts the clutch drum so as to stop the blade from turning when the clutch is disengaged. When the clutch is engaged the assembly pulls away from the drum and applies tension to the belt, to engage the blade drive.

If you removed the idler pulley bracket from the mower deck, then the spring tension on the assembly will have to be reset, otherwise it should still be alright.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.