Hobbyist Forums banner

Mirror Universe Defiant renders

6K views 54 replies 30 participants last post by  wpthomas 
#1 ·
Ok, yes, these are late in coming, I apologise. However, here's some pics I wiped up of the USS Defiant as she was used in the episode. Sorry for the lateness, but it's amazing how life creeps in and then it's weeks later!

Attachments

See less See more
#33 ·
Excellent pictures-even the "rust ring" on the saucer. If I might ask a question, Rob; are these models textured with Lightwave or do you use another app for that? I've been teaching myself Lightwave for a while now-nowhere near your level though.

I'm actually making a short CG animated film myself. Here's one of the shuttlecraft I'm in the process of creating; the Icarus.

Attachments

#35 ·
There's a definite "sporty" look to it, in fact the sound FX for it include a racecar subtly mixed in! Actually a lot of influence came from another craft I really like; the Proteus. Icarus is very similar in that the pilot sits behind and above the crew. His controls are very much like a wheel and throttle quadrant of todays jets.

#43 · (Edited)
Nice shuttle Jeff. And yeah, it does look sorta Nostromo or rather "Leviathan" shaped from the "Book of Alien" pre- production art. Which is cool! :thumbsup: (oh and yes, we model and texture in LW. Use Photoshop for maps)

As for who Dave is and his model, I know nothing about. Koji wholly built the Defiant we used. Nacelles Lighting and certain textures tweeks by me. It was done at EdenFX with reference help from Doug Drexler from the Art Dept and by extension whomever gave him reference. That's it.

#44 ·
nx01Rob said:
Nice shuttle Jeff. And yeah, it does look sorta Nostromo or rather "Leviathan" shaped from the "Book of Alien" pre- production art. Which is cool! :thumbsup: (oh and yes, we model and texture in LW. Use Photoshop for maps)

As for who Dave is and his model, I know nothing about. Koji wholly built the Defiant we used. Nacelles Lighting and certain textures tweeks by me. It was done at EdenFX with reference help from Doug Drexler from the Art Dept and by extension whomever gave him reference. That's it.
Any chance you'll be posting some high-res orthographic and other views on FourMadMen's site?

#45 ·
Rob, those are some excellent renders! They will come in most handy for many of us! While at WonderFest, I picked up a 1/1000 shuttlebay. Once I pick up a chase circuit from Cult, I plan on decking out a PL kit as the Defiant! Thanks again for the wonderful referneces!

Anyone got $45 I can borrow??

#46 · (Edited)
????

Rob, as for who "Dave" is, its me. On post 9 of this very thread I posted the following, intended as a compliment to your fine CGI work:

Thanks a bunch Rob!!

By the way, I'm almost finished my PL 1/1000 Defiant, inspired by your CGI work on the mirror universe episode. Pics here for anyone interested:

http://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/showthread.php?t=112860

Huzz

And Prince of Styrene, yes the Polar Lights model, which is the one I am building guys, does look damn nice decked out as the Defiant!

Huzz
Dave
David
Davey
Dave Hussey
or whatever!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.