Hobbyist Forums banner

scratch builder help ? any ideas

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Dyonisis 
#1 ·
ive got a 1.15 scale delorean im still working on, the rear bumper is missing this detail

any ideas how i could add this detail

See less See more
#3 ·
My thought other than the 3d printing method would be to trace the letters onto the bumper and then use a miniature router (I think Dremel at least sell one).

Or you could build your bumper up in layers, cut the rectangular recess out (of one layer) and then have a piece of plastic (or other material slightly thinner than the depth of the rectangular depression and trace then cut the letters out. The inner detail of the e, o and a could be added later with scrap or putty.

#4 ·
The previous poster may mean the same thing, so pardon if this is redundant: cut out the large outer rectangle in the kit bumper; trace the letters in plastic sheet, then cut out, reserving the "holes" in the "e," "o" and "a;" glue this sheet to another; glue this assembly to the bumper from the inside. What you end up with is 3 layers--the bumper, the recessed area behind the letters, and the sheet with the letters themselves in between.

Or make a decal with an offset highlight/shadow feature. That may be convincing for a small scale replica at a fair distance....

#8 ·
Here's another option for ya'

1) Cut the letters out of sheet styrene
2) glue them to a larger backer sheet of styrene ( place them in reverse order...like you're looking in a mirror )
3) apply a dusting of talc ( works as a release agent for the next step )
4) mix up some Aves/Milliput/bondo ( whichever you prefer ) and press over the letters ( use a decent amount of pressure...you want to capture the corner details well ) making a thick sheet of putty larger than the final shape of the rectangular recess in the bumper.
5) when cured...seperate the putty from the styrene..trim the panel to it's final size and sand it slightly thicker than the depth of the letters.
6) cut out the rectangle from the bumper and glue the putty letter panel into place.

If you choose to try it...Hope it works well

#9 ·
Here's a real simple way to do it. If you have a picture of this that you can trace in the same scale (most printers will allow size adjustment)then cut out the lettering, and glue it with 3M spray adhesive. Attach the letters to styrene sheet about 0.20" thickness. Cut them out very carefully. Then align them so that they are in the same width from each other as the real deal on another piece of sheet styrene. Apply some sculpy putty to it. DO NOT BAKE IT!! Instead, let it sit for a few minutes to harden up to the styrene sheet. Or, you can put it in silicone rubber to make a mould of these letters. Remove the styrene letters. NOW - pour in some polyurethane resin from whereever you get yours from. I get mine from www.dascarplastics.com or www.specialtyresins.com let this sit in the putty/silicone until it cures. You can remove it aftewards, then cut a hole in the bumper for the new letterhead. Sand around the edge to hide it once it's installed. This is just one of many suggestions, but I hope that it will be useful at helping you at some stage in time. Maybe this isn't the shortest, but maybe the easiest way to do it. :wave:

~ Chris​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.