Hobbyist Forums banner

POTA Icarus, or a yacht in the SSC universe

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cozmo 
#1 ·
Building creatures is hard, so I took a break and went back to work on some ships for the SSC universe. I was working on a yacht that I have a need for and wound up with a ship that makes use of the Icarus from Planet of the Apes.

I thought it was pretty neat, so I decided to share:

It started as a little space ship (or aircraft I don't really know what it is) from the IMAI UFO moon base. It was the right size to be in scale with the small kit of the Galactic Cruiser and looked to be a good fit style wise.

While scaling it up to match the AMT kit, it struck me that the Icarus might have use for the main hull of this ship. I happen to have a couple of them (Icarus) in the stack to build, that I never got to because it just looked like something was missing. I modified the drawings to incorporate the 3" Icarus model and went from there. In the picture, the top left is the little ship from
the IMAI kit and it progresses to the bottom right. For a little while, I was contemplating using the 5 1/2" Icarus with the Revell kit of the Convair Space Shuttle. But that was much bigger than I wanted to build.

Even using the small kit, the ship came out a little bigger than I wanted. I figure if I leave the "UNITED STATES" and flags off of the finished model it could pass as both the complete Icarus ship from POTA and a yacht from a converted patrol type ship in the SSC universe.

I have been working on the main hull and the attachment point for the Icarus so it might be a while before it starts to look like something. For now, I do at least have some drawings to guide the way.

See less See more
#2 ·
I had some time this weekend to work on it. I washed and scrubbed yet the paint still peeled from the resin Icarus. The model was only supposed to be about half the size of the cruiser (the Icarus module would be able to enter the shuttle bay), but its what I had to work with

With some stablemates in various stages of completion

It got me thinking about what to do with the larger Icarus, a couple of early ideas:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.