View Full Version : New racing in Ft. Wayne, IN

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

sheath
01-24-2004, 12:16 AM
A new track is up and running in Ft. Wayne at Summit R/C Raceway. It is a 4 lane Carrera track. Racing on Thursday nights. 1/32 and 1/24 scale. Rubber of silicone tires only... no foams, no traction compounds or additives due to the plastic track. More details as they are available. Keep an eye on the Summit R/C Raceway website for news.
www.fwsarc.8m.com

mmmoose1
01-25-2004, 06:28 PM
Hi
Just a few questions about the slot racin. What ohm controllers do you need? Any brand of hobby race car OK like fly or Scaleletric? When can I come check it out and try my luck running on the track?
Ron and I normally run the HO cars so this will be a change for us to run bigger heavier cars. I am looking forward to giving the big scales a try. Moose aka Ken Wehnert

wallyworld
01-26-2004, 03:40 PM
Hi Moose. Any 45 to 60 ohm controller should work fine. Most 1/32 slotcars designed for home track use will be used. We will be having our first race thursday january 29 at 7pm. If possible be early as there will be discussion on rules and classes as we always try to get the racers input on these subjects. As I'm sure you know by now, 1/32 slotcar racing offers many options for classes ( nascar , F1, indy, sports and GT cars, rally, touring, almost any kind of vintage race cars, semi tractor trucks, and now even motorcycles). We went with the carrera track because it allows plenty of room between lanes for close side by side racing for any size car and is the only company that offers the track pieces needed for elevation changes similer to real road race tracks. We will start out running the cars like they come out of the box and will probably very as little as possible from that. In the future Nicks Hobby Shop will be selling 1/24 kits that will be using all parma parts and motor and will come with a special chassis designed for vintage sportcar and nascar bodies produced by Tom Anderson here in Fort Wayne. If you have attended the Chicago area slotcar show or seen his bodies here at the raceway these are extremely detailed and accurately scaled bodies that come with a full interier at a very reasonable price. :thumbsup: These also can be purchased fully painted and detailed. Thanks for the questions.

mmmoose1
01-26-2004, 10:11 PM
We will be there on Thursday to check it out,I will bring along my Fly cars and controlers and make a few laps. I think I raced in Tom Anderson's basement with his kids runnin AFX cars along time ago.
See ya on Thursday,M00SE.

sheath
01-27-2004, 12:17 PM
A few pictures of the track are now available. Check them out at this LINK (http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/racewaypictures5.html)

Mark Hosaflook
01-27-2004, 03:41 PM
Whats it gonna take to get these guys to be a part of Fest? Great track, great location and perhaps a win-win for all. These guys need to come to Fest, set up, race and recruit new members from Northern IN. Who's the contact of this fine establishment?

Mark

mmmoose1
01-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Mark, I have offered my portable 4 lane HO roadcourse twice for Lighningfest and I was there last year. You can contact me at mmmoose1@yahoo.com if you want. I race in Goshen on Thursday nights up to now,traveling 130 miles roundtrip on a Thursday night is getting kinda tiring on both man and machine. There is also several other HO tracks in private homes in the Elkhart area that we frequent. M00SE

wallyworld
01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
Hi Mark. Shoot me an e-mail or call me at the raceway tonight after 7pm. (1-260-471-2722 or 483-3939). Ask for Dale. Also check your e-mail.

Mark Hosaflook
01-28-2004, 09:37 AM
Dale and Moose, I have room for you both plus many, many other clubs, dealers vendors and collectors. PM made a point of it this year to make sure that the slot heads are well represented. They plan to kick in lots of incentives to make this really cool.

I would not be doing my job if ALL the local clubs were not on hand to run slots and recruit new members. PM will also have product on hand for sale at this year's Fest for slots. Some neat surprises too.

Dave Machesney heads up the racing and events while Jon Soffa is taking up the slot car custom contest. I will call Dale tonight and would love to talk to Moose as well if you prefer to call me, drop me an email and I'll forward the number. One way or another, slots will be BIG at Fest this year! :thumbsup:

mmmoose1
01-29-2004, 11:34 PM
I would like to thank the guys who tried realy hard to get the first slot car race at Summit in the books. Do not fret about the small problems with the scoring system, that kind of stuff happens. Tonights race broke the ice better by us having to call out our laps and kept it from being too serious. All in all that was the best first try I have been too.
Now if I can make some positive suggestions. Replacement silicone tires need to be the first thing on the list after getting the scoring system straightend out. We did fine on classes but the cars without silicones need to be racing in a class by themselves. Have a permanant voltmeter on the power supply so the voltage doesn't get bumped up between practice and racing, the cars with stock tires could stand to run on a lower voltage. the four minute heats were great. We run stick on dots on the windshields of our tjets to show what lane color they are in, it might cut down on some of the shouting during the race. I am just not used to yelling at a turn marshal. All in all we had a great time and the three of us will be back next week, Ken,Ron and Kris.

davidwp
01-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Good show and a great time! The first night glitches have happened to all of us that have ever tried to stage an event. Looking forward to next week.

David

wallyworld
02-01-2004, 04:35 PM
Scoring system has been repaired and what has caused the problem to begin with has been changed. We will be testing more this week to make sure, if we run into any more problems before thurs we will post it here. Thanks.

carrera 6
02-03-2004, 05:56 PM
i am finally logged in after 2 weeks of going back and forth with forum boss.
yes, the timer/counter is repaired and ready to go! and dale actually did some of the work!see everyone thursday night. tom.

wallyworld
02-04-2004, 03:18 AM
Bummer! I thought I paid em enough to keep you off. :tongue:

carrera 6
02-04-2004, 08:37 PM
dale! glad to see you posted your photo.... lookin' good!!

Bob Weichbrodt
02-04-2004, 08:51 PM
Hi guys,
Keep posting information here about the HO slot car racing in the NE Indiana area. I'll be back up there sometime this year(my daughter and grandkids live in Warsaw, IN) Maybe I'll try to make the Fest this year too. I raced with the N.I.H.O.P.R.A. guys WAY back in the early eighties. They ran two classes, M/T's and old Aurora G+'s. The races were three lap "crash and burn" segments, each driver doing two per lane per class. I took Steve Medanic with me to one of their events and they asked me very politely not to ever bring him back because he won just about every segment!!!

Bob Weichbrodt
Rawafx
Winston-Salem, NC

Sundance
02-07-2004, 12:35 AM
Bob you made my day. I raced with NIHOPRA back in the early 80's. I wasn't at that race but I remeber hearing about it for months. Steve really put it to them that day. If remember correctly we shortly there after went to time races. If you get to Warsaw let me know we have 4 track EHCO (Elkhart County HO) runs and I am sure we can get somthing going for you. I can be reached at ttimbuck@aol .com
Boy some good memories Thanks BoB Tim Young

mmmoose1
02-08-2004, 10:37 PM
Hey Sundance, if you missed us Ron and I are here on thursdays instead of Goshen. Goshen road is a hell of a lot closer than Goshen,IN. We are planning on being up for the circle track race at your place. Tell Craig his bodies are done and tell John that the trend is continuing, been beat both Thurs and Sat with my own cars and Crash McGee has beat me both times too. I gotta break out of this slump,M00SE.

Sundance
02-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Hey Moose I can't blame you one bit . That is a long haul each week . We miss you guys but we understand. Everything is still go for the 22nd.
JL Sprint, Dirt Late models, V-mods and SNS are the classes that day. We may have an EROC with semi trucks and trailers if time permits. I hope you get out of your slump but you were on top for a long time. Pay backs are tough LOL Later Tim

mmmoose1
02-10-2004, 06:39 PM
I am glad you rescheduled the 29th is my trip to Rockville. I am looking forward to going only left with you guys for a change,M00SE.

mmmoose1
02-10-2004, 10:14 PM
I am glad you rescheduled the 29th is my trip to Rockville. I am looking forward to going only left with you guys for a change,M00SE.

wallyworld
02-11-2004, 04:26 AM
For last weeks results go to: http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/slots.html See you guys thursday.

davidwp
02-13-2004, 01:48 PM
Dale,

The new slot car page (http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/slots.html) is lookin' good! I am very glad to see that I am getting a lot better finishes than my slow cousin "Dave Palmiter". ;) ;)

David Palmeter

http://palmeter.com/SlotCa4.jpg

wallyworld
02-14-2004, 12:49 AM
Hi David. Maybe your cousin should consider switching from bowtie to fomoco to pick up a few extra laps. :lol:

davidwp
02-14-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi David. Maybe your cousin should consider switching from bowtie to fomoco to pick up a few extra laps. :lol:

Naw, he's a really OLD duffer. We'll put him in that beige Park Avenue someone mentioned.

David ;)

davidwp
02-15-2004, 09:53 PM
Dale,

Just tried to call but got a busy. If you still want to do the Monday session I can be there from 4 to 6 pm. Let me know.

David

wallyworld
02-15-2004, 11:23 PM
I'll be there between 4 and 4:30. Hey I heard the rumor that the guy running the blue mustang had an illegal button magnet in the front of it and David Palmeter's cousin was really upset when he heard about it. Boy! I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. :eek:

davidwp
02-16-2004, 09:53 AM
I'll be there between 4 and 4:30. Hey I heard the rumor that the guy running the blue mustang had an illegal button magnet in the front of it and David Palmeter's cousin was really upset when he heard about it. Boy! I wouldn't want to be in his shoes. :eek:

No problem..... :mad:

mmmoose1
02-16-2004, 12:20 PM
I talked to Ron this AM and boy is he embarassed. He found the EXTRA magnet after he got home and looked at it more closely. Give the guy a break,he did not know about it till after the race. M00SE

wallyworld
02-17-2004, 12:17 AM
Davids cousin says everythings cool now. :cool:

wallyworld
02-17-2004, 12:32 AM
For those that don't know yet, Nicks hobby shop has Indy grips silicone tires for most cars now.

wallyworld
02-17-2004, 01:21 AM
Lots of testing was done at the track on monday by Ron Mullins, David Palmeter, Gary Trump, and myself to help determine rules for each class to make the cars as equal as possible. As of right now it looks like the front and rear motor cars for the sports and GT class will be divided into 2 different classes, the Scalextric Nascar rear sidewinder cars will have to run with the magnet in the middle position and the Vanquish MG Can-Am cars will run without any magnets with silicone tires being allowed. Cars from other classes were tested also to help determine their rules. I would like to thank all of the above for taking the time needed to help do this.

flipper67
02-17-2004, 07:54 PM
Has anyone race at Fast Eddies' in Richmond IN. He has like 3 1/2 tracks and a drag strip. But these are more like Parma cars, 1:24 scale lexan bodies. Just wondering?

Phil

davidwp
02-17-2004, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

Just found this - some great tuning info for 1:32 - particularly the weight section and the noisy cars ideas.

Slot Car Tuning Tips (http://www.homeracingworld.com/slotcartuning.htm#VI.%20TEN%20Dos%20and%20Donts)

David

davidwp
02-18-2004, 02:11 PM
Lots of testing was done at the track on monday by Ron Mullins, David Palmeter, Gary Trump, and myself to help determine rules for each class to make the cars as equal as possible. As of right now it looks like the front and rear motor cars for the sports and GT class will be divided into 2 different classes, the Scalextric Nascar rear sidewinder cars will have to run with the magnet in the middle position and the Vanquish MG Can-Am cars will run without any magnets with silicone tires being allowed. Cars from other classes were tested also to help determine their rules. I would like to thank all of the above for taking the time needed to help do this.

Dale,

What classes are we racing Thursday?

David

wallyworld
02-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Hi David. For right now we're running what ever the guys show up with. There is a 3 car minimum to have a race in any class. See ya thursday.

wallyworld
02-21-2004, 03:04 AM
Congradulations to Gary Trump, Ron Mullins, Andy C and Joe Anderson. Each won their class thursday night. For all results go to http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/slots.html Also thanks to Tom ( I'm a butt) Anderson for running the scoring system.

wallyworld
02-25-2004, 03:48 AM
After testing with some racers of the Trans-Am cars saturday they said they would like to try racing with the bar magnet moved to the forward position this thursday. If there are no objections this will be done. Also to be discussed thursday will be a camaro vs mustang 6 week series with points being scored for either car make for finishing in the first 8 places and an additionl point for a win (9,7,6,5,4,3,2,1). Point totals will be added up each week so every position you are racing for points will be given to your pony car.

mmmoose1
02-26-2004, 11:24 PM
Tom,the 1/24th chassis I bought was a Racegold,you can see it on Ebay by searching for item number 3176170818. He also had a stainless chassis that I did noit bid on ebay number 3176172147 that was interesting. Let me know what you think about the one I bought,it will be a while before it gets here. I will need a body for it, Ken.

carrera 6
02-26-2004, 11:43 PM
love the variable adjustment for legnth, and the independant front wheels. also like the way the the guide is tucked back. doesn't look like the sides are able to move in or out though. it will be interesting to see how it handles. let me know how big you want the roundels on the decal sheet for the ho cars. tom.

mmmoose1
02-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Tom I did a Yahoo search on Racegold and found a bunch of sites in Germany that run the chassis in what they call group 5. From what I can translate Racegold and Carrara are linked in some way. I found a better picture. I did find a site in England that was selling the chassis for 35 pounds or somewhere aroung $90, so I think I got a deal. One of the guys that trades HO resin bodies back and forth with us races 1/24th too and he has racegold cars. If you could make the roundels 1/4 and 5/16th that would be greatly appreciated.Ken

carrera 6
02-27-2004, 08:47 PM
ken, i just got the shipment of chassis in from australia. so i will bring some in for the next race and nick will have them available. can't wait to see yours. ok on the roundel sizes. tom.

wallyworld
02-28-2004, 04:05 AM
Wow! 27 cars raced thursday. Joe's Roadrunner was just able to get by David's Dodge Charger at the end of the race after a great dual all race long in the Classic Nascar race. Also we ended the night of racing with the Semi Tractor Trucks thrashing around track. Lots of leaning on each other, wheels coming off, going off the hills, and trucks running the wrong direction made this race quite memorable. Congradulations to Ben ( stay the heck out of my way ) Putterbaugh for winning the raceway's first ever semi truck race. :thumbsup: I gotta admit it was very entertaining to watch. For thursdays results please go to http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/slots.html Don't forget next week starts our camaro vs mustang Trans - Am series.

mmmoose1
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Tom I recieved the Racegold chassis on Sat, WOW is it COOL!! It has more screws. adjustments, tensioners to play with than I know what to do with. I will bring it along Thursday,Ken.

sheath
03-03-2004, 10:44 PM
This weekend, March 6th and 7th is the Ft. Wayne R/C Model and Hobby Show and swap meet. The show is held at the Memorial Coliseum Expo Center, and includes manufacturers, vendors, hobby shops, displays and individual swap and sell tables. All types of hobbies will be represented, including planes, trains, boats, slot cars, R/C cars and trucks. Summit R/C Raceway will have a display and will also be hosting a truck 'fun run' on the carpet track. They will also have info on the slot car racing at Summit Mondays and Thursdays, as well as examples of the cars. The show opens at 10 AM each day.

wallyworld
03-05-2004, 05:20 AM
Hey Walt. I got your tires done, give me a call.

davidwp
03-05-2004, 05:51 PM
Dale,

Thanks for giving me the win in Classic NASCAR last night but actually it was Joe in the Mary Kay Roadrunner that won (again!). My "Big Al Charger" was a close second (again!).

David

wallyworld
03-05-2004, 11:28 PM
Thanks David. I will personally see that the person responsible is severely punished. He wil be forced to drive Joe's Mary Kay car 10 laps while singing " Girls just want to have fun " next week. :rolleyes: .

wallyworld
03-06-2004, 12:36 AM
Congradulations to Shane Hockenberry on his first win, first in sportscar 1 and then later on backed it up with a win in Semi Truck. Also we ran our first vintage sportscar race thursday night. Check it out here http://hometown.aol.com/sheath9831/slots.html

wallyworld
03-10-2004, 12:24 AM
Hey Ron! Are ya gonna have that big bad BOSS 302 ready for thursday? My boy can't make it so if there's an opening I'll be there racin mine with ya. Maybe we'll do a little moose huntin.