View Full Version : club car golf cart (gas engine) will not start

willie
05-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I have been working on 2 gas engines golf carts that would not run right.
One had a gas problem. I fixed that one & it runs fine. The other one will not
begin to start. I think it is a electrical problem. I put it in forward gear, turn key to start, depress accelerator pedel & nothing happens. No clicking -----
nothing, I have charged the battery, key switch ok, new solenoid. Fuse (10
amp.) ok.

LowRider
05-25-2009, 07:51 PM
you'll get help if you post model and code on engine.

rotti1968
05-25-2009, 07:53 PM
There are micro switches on the gas pedal that could be bad, there should be a box under the floor board that the cables run through or somewhere in that area that has the switch inside. these are a common issue that goes wrong with them.

willie
05-26-2009, 02:40 PM
you'll get help if you post model and code on engine.

This is the model information on my golf cart.

Club Cab Precendent
PR-2004 yr.
Club Cab OHV
ID. 2KAXS.2872 CA

Thanks, willie

rotti1968
05-26-2009, 11:51 PM
I still believe you have a bad micro switch that will give a no start condition . I was a golf course mechanic for ten + years and that would be the 1st place i would go to for this condition.

willie
05-28-2009, 09:25 PM
Great !!! It works again. Thanks rotti1968. You were so right about the
mirco switches under the brake/accelerator pedals going bad. I
disconected & cleaned the mirco switches that were full of sand. This
used golf cart was driven on a sandy beach or through all the sand traps
on a golf course. There was about 2 inches of sand around & in the micro
swltches box. It starts & runs great.

Thanks again, willie

willie
06-07-2009, 02:50 PM
HELP!!! I ran the golf cart for 4 days with no problems. It would not atempt
to start the 5 day. I recharged battery, key switch ok, kill & run switches ok
(below floor). The forward/reverse/service switches ok. I jumped the 2 post
on the new solenoid & the starter turned as starting. Cleaned battery post &
ground to frame. How do I check the voltage regulator?

I am lost again (rotti1968) HELP!!!

Thanks again, willie

PS: Is there certain way to hook up the new solenoid. There was not markings by the posts. I connected from + battery to 1 large post & did
the same as the old solenoid was hooked.

rotti1968
06-07-2009, 09:14 PM
Ill have to do a little digging tomorrow and get you the correct testing steps for the regulator and proper hook up from the solenoid. Sorry this is short just got in from the nascar race at pocono and im beat....

willie
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM
I have the golf cart runing again. My local Car Quest parts store sold me the
wrong solenoid. The right one is a continuous duty solenoid that they replaced.

Thanks again rotti1968 for all your help.

willie

rotti1968
06-10-2009, 09:06 PM
Sorry I did not get back to you right away. I am very behind at work and just did not get the time to look up the info for you . Happy you have it running again. Any time i can help just let me know ...

captcbw
07-06-2009, 08:28 PM
I have been working on 2 gas engines golf carts that would not run right.
One had a gas problem. I fixed that one & it runs fine. The other one will not
begin to start. I think it is a electrical problem. I put it in forward gear, turn key to start, depress accelerator pedel & nothing happens. No clicking -----
nothing, I have charged the battery, key switch ok, new solenoid. Fuse (10
amp.) ok.

This is probably not the correct way to ask a question, but here goes.
I have a 96 Club car, gas (forgot to check what engine I have) I have had this for 4 years and never had a problem, until about 6 months ago
Problem #1 it started about 6 months ago, you press the accelerator and its like a spinning/slipping belt noise, after about 5 seconds, it will crank/start. I have replace the belt, still the same thing
Problem #2 just started today, no slow speed, when it starts, it only runs at fast speed. I took the cover off the throttle box and cleaned everything, still same thing. Thanks for any reply

rotti1968
07-06-2009, 10:59 PM
I think you may have a kawasaki engine fe290 .... I would check your battery connections make sure they are clean and that your battery is good 12 volts and load tests good , your starter may be starting to go also. thats for problem #1 . Problem # 2 when you say at fast speed is it over speeding? or it will not idle down or respond to the throttle? you might have a governor issue external or internal.

dsdmd
07-22-2009, 06:01 PM
I have an old club car which used to run fine but has bbeen sitting and now won't start. I added gas but the fuel filter seems to only have a very little fuel in it. Does anyone out there know how to prime the fuel system?

rotti1968
07-22-2009, 06:58 PM
There is no real priming of the fuel system. There is a fuel pump on these engines, or use the impulse of the engine to pull fuel . you more then likely need to clean your carburetor, and,replace your fuel filter since you say this unit has sat for sometime.

canole
01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
My gas club car won't start... the battery is fully charged but the engine won't turn over.
It was stuck in the mud and rocked back and forth but stuck so bad it had to be towed out. It started ok for the evening but I heard a loud pop as I went up a steep hill and when I later turned off the engine... it wouldn't start.
Any ideas why it won't start?
Thanks !

golftech
01-16-2010, 08:33 AM
I think you may have a kawasaki engine fe290 .... I would check your battery connections make sure they are clean and that your battery is good 12 volts and load tests good , your starter may be starting to go also. thats for problem #1 . Problem # 2 when you say at fast speed is it over speeding? or it will not idle down or respond to the throttle? you might have a governor issue external or internal.

He DOES have the F290. The Kawasaki engines used in C.C.'s require large amounts of air to run properly. This being said,the air filters need to be CLEAN,and changed more often then you might think necessary. Before doing anything else,remove the air intake hose from the carb,and take a look inside the carb throat. Chances are the throttle plate will be non-exsitent or partially gone. This is caused by large amounts of hi-speed dust getting by the air filter or through openings between it and the carb(loose,cracked,or broken intake hose,or improperly installed air filter,or not using one at all). This is what causes the W.O.T. when you depress the pedal.
If this is the case,you will need to buy a carb. Parts are not available for them. I know this because I have a fleet of C.C.'s and have been a private golf course tech for 25 years.

golftech
01-16-2010, 08:40 AM
There is no real priming of the fuel system. There is a fuel pump on these engines, or use the impulse of the engine to pull fuel . you more then likely need to clean your carburetor, and,replace your fuel filter since you say this unit has sat for sometime.

You might also want to check the impulse line from the engine to the fuel pump. It might be plugged. Wire out or blow a quick blast of compressed air,carb cleaner,or brake kleen, into the fitting on the engine the impulse line attaches to. A little sludge could have collected in there,too. Either one of those two things will prevent the pump from working properly. Low engine compression will also do it,but I don't think you want to go THERE!!

beeobee
05-19-2010, 09:04 PM
I have 1998 club car for home use. I was trying to start it from storage over the winter. It is fuuly charged, seems to crank, but does not turn over. Gas is full. Where do I start? It ran fine last year. Full of gas, but doen not want to fire.

tdunes
08-12-2011, 03:12 AM
This was asked prior but no answers to the question. Have old Club Car golf cart, year unknown, which was running fine. Up steeper hill with a load on and heard loud pop from the engine. Would not start again. Gas full, battery full, etc. Turns over but does not start. Any ideas? Thanks, Tom end

geogrubb
08-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Post the engine Mfg, model, type and code usually found stamped in the metal engine shroud by the spark plug. Check that it has spark, check that it has compression. Have a good one. Geo

Roger 41
01-28-2012, 12:32 AM
Hello all, just wondering what is considered good compresson on FE290 motor? thanks (1994 Club Car)

RottyMom
03-12-2012, 08:02 PM
I am having a problem with my EZGo golf cart model H400. (all the numbers inside are 1300 127 KG305-7)What is happening is up until last year our cart worked great. Now, you can be driving around and when you stop for something it will not start back up. It is completely dead. We have towed it back to our camp site and charged the battery (put a new battery in it)and it will run for awhile then do it again. We are stumped.. we have disconnected the lights thinking this was draining the battery. No difference.

Stoff
03-17-2012, 03:09 PM
I have a 1992 club cart that just stopped running. I hear the little switch click and the selonoid click but it won't do anything. Battery checks out fine and all my wires and connections seem to be fine. Could it be the starter and if not what other possibilities could it be.

huntbuggy
04-09-2012, 04:16 PM
I have a Club Car golf cart That will not start. I did turn over a little after leaving the accelerator depressed for a long time. The battery seems to be fine but today nothing (not even a click). The engine has a sticker stating Kawasaki FE290D-CS17 cart # AG0544. Anyone have any Ideas what I may look at to fix this problem?

Thanks,
Huntbuggy

Sc2789
08-17-2012, 11:51 PM
I have a 2002 club car (gas) when I press the accelerator down I hear a "click" I assume the micro switch is working fine but the cart doesn't move, but if I rock the cart it will start, sometimes if I hold the accelerator and rock the cart and hold the choke it fires up as well, we use the cart often so it doesn't sit un-used, I have new fuel filters not installed yet tho, air filter is new, gas is full, battery is charged, I'm running out of ideas!!!!

ToyToy2009
08-30-2012, 11:25 PM
odd, i had the same problem once.

zielonjm
09-24-2012, 09:37 PM
ok this is my first time posting and on this site but yall seem to know what you need to do so. i just bought a 1988 marathon gas 2-cycle golf cart model#483166 serial#2288, on friday 21 sep 12, and it stopped running on sun 23 sep 12. i replaced the three micro-switches and the solenoid today 24 sep 12. i am in dire need of help to get this cart started for work.
Battery is good
Micro-switches good brand new
solenoid good brand new
gas and oil is good
carb. is good recently replaced
key switch is brand new
in-line fuse from solenoid to key switch is good
will turn over when i jump the big terminals on solenoid and positive battery post to small terminal on right(from big post from +battery skip small post then another small post that one)
with it as-is you step on the gas pedal no clicking, no turning over no nothing. please someone help me if i cant get this to work im out of $1000 that i was saving for school in louisiana, im in ohio now

Frankie_boy
09-28-2012, 04:40 PM
O.K. we had very similiar problem too. :(
Our cart is an old timer 4 stroke Yamaha - vintage unknown,
(could be mid 1990's)

Finally fixed after checking the 2 fuses under the seat on driver's side in the fender well. Needed to replace one.
Also good idea to check the spark plug too. :)

lowrent44
12-12-2012, 05:10 PM
i have a 1990 club car gas has no spark it turns over and has fuel

germana
07-27-2013, 08:37 AM
I have 252 Club car carryall that will not turn over. It started when I turned the lights on it would kill the battery, so I disconnected the light switch and charged the battery but it still won't turn over. It sounds like it wants to start but it just won't turn over. Not sure if its electrical or what but I have changed the spark plug as well. Please someone help! If you need any more info let me know Thank You!

SW14
07-28-2013, 11:34 AM
I have a 2002 ez go w a 4 cycle engine and it has gas and new spark plugs and it tries to start but won't. I thought was out of gas and put more in lol someone suggested the coil?

chetlynch@me.com
02-28-2014, 06:12 PM
2002 club car gas s/n ag0235-192938 It turns over good but will not fire appears to have gas going to carb but will not fire up? what procedure should i check to figure out why?

doubleP
03-21-2014, 01:50 PM
Good day.
Just new here and hoping to find a repair manual for the said title.

thanks in advance