Hobbyist Forums banner

6V 5Ah lead sealed battery charger

7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  stew215 
#1 ·
I have a spot light that uses a 6V 5Ah lead sealed battery. I have lost the charger. What power charger(volts and amps) should I get to charge my light?

#2 ·
Get a charger for 6V-Lead-Batteries (actual voltage should be somewhere at 6.7 to 6.9 volts, roughly; the companies who make the chargers can usually be trusted to get it right ;)).

The current for your battery should be at 0.5 or 0.6 amps, resulting in a 8 - 10-hour charge cycle.

I would recommend a charger with automatic shutdown, so your battery won't get damaged. When the charger doesn't have that feature, make sure that the battery isn't hooked up too long; the duration of the charge cycle normally is the capacity (5Ah) divided by the current (p.e. 0.5A) -> 10 hours.

Greets

Tom

#4 ·
No problem!

Just a few more pointers:

- don't use a higher current (unless you know exactly, what you're doing), the battery might overheat while charging and explode.

- while charging, check the battery's temperature. make sure it doesn't get too hot.

- The more expensive the charger, the more sophisticated it should be (some have features like battery regeneration, auto-shutdown, overheat shutdown,...). Just make sure you don't by the best, if you just use it twice a year ;)

greets

tom

#5 ·
if you happen to have a venom pro charger plus you can charge your lead acid battery with that, it is capable of charging:

1-27 cell Ni-Cd/Ni-Mh packs
1-8 series LiPo/LiIon packs
2 to 36V lead acid batteries

so it would be a good investment as it works for a variety of batteries ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.