Moebius PROTEUS coming in 2017! - Page 67 - HobbyTalk
 244Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
post #991 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 12:56 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 4,157
Is it just the lights around the pilot's dome or does it have some of the internal lighting as well?
The photos don't seem to show much else.
Price is good for a build-your-own,
Richard Baker is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #992 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Capt. Krik's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: I'm here, I'm there, I'm everywhere, so beware.
Posts: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Baker View Post
Is it just the lights around the pilot's dome or does it have some of the internal lighting as well?
The photos don't seem to show much else.
Price is good for a build-your-own,
The VooDoo light kit also includes interior lighting.
Capt. Krik is offline  
post #993 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-21-2017, 07:58 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Trekkriffic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 4,687
Got my Proteus today from my LHS. Woohoooo! I've waited sooooooo long for this kit in styrene! Now need to save up for the photo-etch. I'll probably do my own lighting or wait a little while longer and get the lighting kit. Modeling funds just took a hit.
Opus Penguin likes this.
Trekkriffic is offline  
 
post #994 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 01:30 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Opus Penguin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekkriffic View Post
Got my Proteus today from my LHS. Woohoooo! I've waited sooooooo long for this kit in styrene! Now need to save up for the photo-etch. I'll probably do my own lighting or wait a little while longer and get the lighting kit. Modeling funds just took a hit.
Yep, same boat. Just waiting to have funds to get the Window masks and light kit, then the photo-etch when it comes out.
Opus Penguin is offline  
post #995 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Chicago,Illinois
Posts: 243
Okay, back to my same question from earlier this year.. any decent figures planned for this? The Larson/Lunar ones are not cutting it for this release! (in my opinion)
Any word from aftermarket land? Thanks.
Nektu is offline  
post #996 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-23-2017, 05:11 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 59
Just saw the Proteus at our not-inexpensive LHS here in northern Canada. $120 Canadian. Given that our $ is worth 25% less than US $, and that Canadian retailers get the same wholesale discount that US retailers get (same distributer, in fact), you shouldn't be paying more than $90 US regular price at your LHS. That's not bad for a small run kit of such complexity.
Newbie123 is offline  
post #997 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 02:35 PM
Elder Statesman
 
veedubb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Colorado Springs, CO
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
Okay, back to my same question from earlier this year.. any decent figures planned for this?
Cult just posted on FB that he'll have sitting figures - pictures forthcoming.


Rob
Iwata Padawan
veedubb67 is offline  
post #998 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-24-2017, 03:09 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Warrior, Alabama
Posts: 4,157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
Okay, back to my same question from earlier this year.. any decent figures planned for this? The Larson/Lunar ones are not cutting it for this release! (in my opinion)
Any word from aftermarket land? Thanks.
Drew (of Crows Nest) was supposed to be getting some figures ready for this kit- haven't heard anything recently about it but he is pretty reliable and does excellent work
Richard Baker is offline  
post #999 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 01:27 PM
Elder Statesman
 
lunadude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 535
Seems the Jimmy Flintstone figures for the Proteus are in preorder at CultTVMan.
Sculpted by Chris Elizardo and Drew Huffman. The photo is a work in progress, but these are pretty nice.

More here: http://culttvman.com/main/coming-soo...mmy-flinstone/
Xenodyssey likes this.

Last edited by lunadude; 03-25-2017 at 01:28 PM. Reason: added a link
lunadude is offline  
post #1000 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,118
Thanks for the info. Nice detailing and at least some of the figures resemble the characters. I wonder if we'll get scuba figures at some point..
Xenodyssey is offline  
post #1001 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 06:40 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 389
OK, this may be a really dumb question, and it may have been addressed in the prior 66 pages (which I admit I have not read all of), so here goes anyways...

Once you glue the top hull to bottom hull (per the instructions) it appears that one would be hard pressed to see any of the detail in the back room, unless you keep hatch door open and then maybe you'll get a slight peak.

When I test-fit pressing the two hull pieces together, there is a slight gap along the engine pylons seam...so if you decided NOT to glue the hulls, I imagine this seam will always be readily apparent.

I think back to the Polar Lights Jupiter II with the lower deck -- I ended up not building the lower deck because it is rare enough that I lift off the top shell to even see the full upper deck...and I'm thinking that if I end up gluing the Proteus hull together (to avoid the gap in the engines) there is a fat chance anyone will ever see the back room...so why even build it (the back room interior)?

Now, I am also not lighting mine or getting any photo-etched pieces, etc etc -- pretty much just gonna build it straight from the box...so maybe those with plans to go all out have some other trick up their sleeve as to how they will showcase the back room.

That said, I would be curious for those pimping their Proteus out, how do you plan to show off your interior?
drmcoy is offline  
post #1002 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 08:05 PM
HobbyTalk Pro
 
Lou Dalmaso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 2,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmcoy View Post
OK, this may be a really dumb question, and it may have been addressed in the prior 66 pages (which I admit I have not read all of), so here goes anyways...

Once you glue the top hull to bottom hull (per the instructions) it appears that one would be hard pressed to see any of the detail in the back room, unless you keep hatch door open and then maybe you'll get a slight peak.

When I test-fit pressing the two hull pieces together, there is a slight gap along the engine pylons seam...so if you decided NOT to glue the hulls, I imagine this seam will always be readily apparent.

I think back to the Polar Lights Jupiter II with the lower deck -- I ended up not building the lower deck because it is rare enough that I lift off the top shell to even see the full upper deck...and I'm thinking that if I end up gluing the Proteus hull together (to avoid the gap in the engines) there is a fat chance anyone will ever see the back room...so why even build it (the back room interior)?

Now, I am also not lighting mine or getting any photo-etched pieces, etc etc -- pretty much just gonna build it straight from the box...so maybe those with plans to go all out have some other trick up their sleeve as to how they will showcase the back room.

That said, I would be curious for those pimping their Proteus out, how do you plan to show off your interior?
well, I just cut a honkin' big hole in mine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg adubg2417.jpg (77.4 KB, 51 views)
lunadude likes this.
Lou Dalmaso is offline  
post #1003 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-25-2017, 11:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 389
HA! Well, that's certainly one way! Another friend told me that some are using rare earth magnets to keep the two hulls connected. Not sure what I'm going to do...I don't see myself taking the top hull off all that often if ever, so I may just seal mine up...but looking forward to seeing how others decide to display theirs.
drmcoy is offline  
post #1004 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Vacation Needed
 
John P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Behind you! No don't look!
Posts: 30,329
Somewhere back in those 66 pages, someone suggested cutting open the two rear windows to see inside.
John P is offline  
post #1005 of 1033 (permalink) Old 03-26-2017, 02:47 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Woodland Hills
Posts: 218
Yes, opening the rear windows would be a good approach--if you have the interior hatch open between the rear lab and the main cockpit you would get at least some light scattered into the lab--but you'd never get enough to really see details like the centrifuge area and that wall of "sample" spigots or whatever they are. I love Lou's cutaway approach--I always thought about doing a proper cutaway of the Proteus and building in some kind of interior propulsion unit detail etc. Otherwise doing interior lighting is really the only way to allow for a good look at the rear lab.
JeffBond is offline  
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the HobbyTalk forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome